Monday, August 19, 2013

Make Your Own Deodorant


Did you know that you can make your own deodorant?  It's one of those things that I have never really thought about making myself, it's not overly expensive to buy, and it's readily available.  However, when I stumbled upon this recipe online, it seemed so simple that I had to try it!  I already had all of the ingredients, so there was nothing to stop me (aside from the fear that it wouldn't work, and I would have to endure a day of being a stinky mess!).

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
5-6 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
1/8 Cup of Arrow Root Powder
1/8 Cup of Corn Starch
1/4 Cup of Baking Soda
Several Drops of Bergamot Essential Oil (for scent)

Directions:
In a bowl, combine the powders.  Add in the coconut oil, and mix to form a thick paste.  Add several drops of essential oil, until you've reached the scent level that you want.  Store in an air tight container.

To use: Simply scoop out a small amount and apply to your underarms.  If you have any remaining on your hands you can simply rub it into your skin as a lotion.

If you don't have Bergamot essential oil, you could use your favorite essential oil scent in place of it. Personally, I would probably forego the essential oil next time I make it, the coconut oil already gives it a light coconut scent on its own.

Admittedly, I was hesitant to try this out; who wants to spend a day stinking up the office in the event that this homemade concoction fails?!?! I mixed it up on a Thursday evening with the intention of trying it out over the weekend when the only people that would be witness to any offensive smells would be my loved ones. Friday morning, as I was preparing to go to work, the little jar of homemade deodorant was calling my name. Casting my hesitations aside, I tried it out (on a workday!). Having little confidence in the efficacy of this DIY deodorant, I tossed my regular deodorant into my work bag just in case I needed it.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well it actually worked! It worked just as well, if not better than my store bought deodorant, and it was entirely all natural! That was it, I was hooked!

My family was on vacation the following week, and I packed my little jar of deodorant, and again the back up store bought deodorant. I never once had to use the store bought stick, my homemade stuff served me well, even in the heat of the summer!

e

No comments:

Post a Comment