Monday, August 12, 2013

Make Your Own Almond Butter

A friend of mine posted this picture on Facebook, and I wondered, "Could it REALLY be THAT easy?" While I was out grocery shopping, I bought some almonds with the sole purpose of trying this!


According to the picture, all I would need was a food processor, and some almonds. Easy enough, so that's how I started. I simply dumped 2 cups of whole almonds into the food processor, and turned it on.


After 5 minutes it looked like this:


There wasn't much change after 10 minutes...


After 15 minutes of spinning around in the food processor, it started to turn into a grainy paste...


After 20 minutes the magic started to happen!! The ground almonds were suddenly turning into something that resembled almond butter!!


After 25 minutes, the almonds became ALMOND BUTTER!! A taste test revealed that this almond butter was lacking something (my daughter agreed), so we added less than a teaspoon of sugar, and it was perfect!


We poured the almond butter into a mason jar, and we were finished. Two cups of almonds yeilded about 8 ounces of almond butter.


Next time I do this, I'll warm the almonds in the oven a little bit before starting. I've read that warming the almonds helps to speed up the almond to almond butter process. My food processor is rather antiquated, so it may not be an issue with newer machines; however, I kept stopping the food processor, and stirring the almonds around with a spoon for fear that the motor on the food processor would burn out.

Overall, I declare this a HUGE SUCCESS!!





No comments:

Post a Comment