Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A New Era Begins - My Daughter's First Day of Kindergarten!



Yesterday marked the first day of a new era for our family, my daughter is now officially a kindergartner! The past few weeks have been riddled with excitement and anxiety for me, my husband, and especially my daughter (my two year old has been quite oblivious to the whole matter, though he has declared that he will be attending college before he goes to kindergarten himself). My daughter's fears have revolved around things like riding the school bus, how to buy lunch in the cafeteria, and exactly how much homework she will be given as a kindergartner, oh... and the follow up question, "Mommy, what IS homework anyway?". My own fears have been more centered on adjusting work schedules to accommodate having one child in school and another in daycare, figuring out how the before care works at our school, how much school lunches cost, will she feel challenged enough by the curriculum, and the rest of the minutia that goes with sending your first born off to her first day of "real" school.

Adjusting our work schedules was the part of our first day of school preparation that took the most thought. My workday will be moved back an hour; rather than starting at 8am, I'll now be starting at 7am. This will allow me to get out of work, pick my son up from daycare, and hopefully be home in time to get my daughter off the school bus. Conversely, my husband will now be going to work slightly later, to allow him time to drop my daughter off at the school's before care program, and then take my son to day care (previously I've always been the one to do day care drop off). My son's day at daycare will be shortened, as he'll be dropped off slightly later than he's accustomed to, and picked up an hour earlier than he was before. Once our changes to our work schedules were approved, the rest took little thought on my part, it was just a matter of calming my daughter's tiny nerves.

She did amazing when we dropped her off for school, she was excited to see her friends, and start her new school year. She quickly gave us hugs, and said goodbye as she ran off to her classroom. Aside from a hiccup with the school bus and her drop off after school, she had an amazing day! She was excited to tell me all about her new friends, what she had for lunch, and how much fun she had at recess!

Unfortunately, I'm already "one of those parents", since after the minor mishap with the school bus, I stopped at the school office, and then called the transit company that buses the children to and from school to inquire/complain about the issue. At least she had a great day otherwise, and hopefully the bus situation will be resolved by this afternoon when she comes home!

No comments:

Post a Comment