Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Adventures in Oil Pulling



I first heard of oil pulling a couple of months ago, when an internet search brought up the unrelated topic of oil pulling. Intrigued, I read the information that appeared in my search, and then thirsting for more information I searched for more information about this curious phenomenon. After much reading, I decided that there wouldn’t be any harm in trying it myself, but I was skeptical of the reported results.

A Brief History of Oil Pulling:
Oil pulling has been a practice in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years, but became much more common in the United States after the 1992 report by Dr. F. Karach, MD in which he stated that the act of oil pulling cured him of a blood disease that he had been battling for years. During his study, Dr. Karach noted that oil has healing properties that can treat many medical ailments.

What is Oil Pulling?
Quite simply, oil pulling is the act of rinsing your mouth with oil. Various types of oil can be used effectively; the most common oils used in oil pulling are sunflower oil, sesame oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. Coconut oil has become a more common oil for use due to its naturally occurring anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties (and the fact that it tastes better than other oils).

How it works:
Bacteria build up on your teeth makes your gums more prone to infection and inflammation. Overtime if left untreated, this infection and inflammation can eat away at your gums and bone structure. This gum disease is known as periodontis. Periodontis has been linked with diabetes, heart disease, increased pain for those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, worsening lung conditions (thought to be caused by the increase in bacteria in the lungs for those suffering from pneumonia or ailments such as COPD), and during pregnancy periodontis has been linked to low-birth weight babies.

Your mouth is teeming with bacteria, some of which are beneficial and some of which are not. While oil pulling, the bacteria in your mouth become trapped in the liquid oil. In the most basic sense, the act of oil pulling is done to remove bacteria from your mouth. Many sites state that other toxins are pulled from your body and become trapped in the oil as well, though I find that more difficult to believe.

Studies regarding oil pulling:
In a study published in 2008 that followed 20 adolescent boys, oil pulling was found to significantly reduce the bacteria Streptococcus Mutans (the primary cause for plaque build up and tooth decay) in as little as two weeks.

Another study, again using 20 adolescents, found that oil pulling greatly reduced all of the markers for halitosis (bad breath), and was just as effective as a chlorhexidine mouthwash.

How is Oil Pulling done?
The act of oil pulling is quite simple.
1. Put about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of oil in your mouth.
2. Gently swish the oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes, pulling it back and forth through your teeth.
3. Spit out the oil. (Note: if using coconut oil, or any oil that is a solid at room temperature, you will want to spit into the trash, and not down a sink drain. The oil can resolidify in your pipes and cause a blockage)
4. Rinse out your mouth and brush your teeth as normal.

My experience with Oil Pulling:
I’ve been Oil Pulling for a couple of weeks now. I do my Oil Pulling while I’m showering in the morning, it’s the part of my day where I’m least likely to be interrupted by the demands of my family. As I mentioned in the opening of this article, I was skeptical in regards to Oil Pulling. I went into this “experiment” fully expecting that it would fail, but I had nothing to lose by trying.

The results were almost immediate. After my first session of oil pulling I was amazed at how clean my mouth and teeth felt. The clean feeling lasted the entire day. My breath was fresher, and my teeth just felt cleaner. Having done it for a couple of weeks now, it’s become a part of my morning ritual. My gums feel tighter (not that they felt loose before, but they feel healthier now), my teeth feel clean all day, and flossing is not nearly as daunting as it had been.

While I’m still not convinced that Oil Pulling is capable of curing cancer, AIDS, or kidney disease by itself, I am convinced that it does have great benefits for one’s oral health.

No comments:

Post a Comment