Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I am not a runner...



I haven’t run “for fun” since high-school. In fact in recent years, the only time I run is because I’m chasing after a wayward toddler, or being chased by a big scary insect. For the past two years, my New Year’s Resolutions have included getting back into running, yet I haven’t. I even went so far as to buy some super comfy running shoes last summer, in hopes that they would inspire me to move. The shoes didn’t do it though, they just sat there looking at me longingly, and I ignored them.

I’m inspired now though. Unfortunately, it took a semi-scary diagnosis of pre-diabetes to inspire me. A visit to my doctor for routine blood tests revealed that my fasting glucose was borderline diabetic. I have a follow up appointment in three months to retest, and hopefully remove that diagnosis from my charts. In the meantime, I’m tracking my blood sugar levels, and trying to get more exercise. That’s where the latest attempt at running comes in.

Why running? Well, the weather is nice this time of year, and it’s free. I already invested in the shoes, and really, what more do I need (aside from the motivation to actually get out there and do it)? Running at home is near impossible; we live on a main route with traffic traveling between 50-70mph, and no shoulder to run on. However, since we spend the majority of our weekends during the summer at my in-laws’ camp, where traffic is a non-issue, I thought I would give it a try while we were there on vacation.

Admittedly, I had grand intentions of lacing up my running shoes and running every morning. It didn't quite work out that way though, and finally with only two days left of our vacation, I made myself get out of bed before the rest of the family and with much anticipation laced up my shoes. There is something amazing about toddler intuition though, since my son decided to wake up at 6:30 that morning, just as I was approaching the door to leave. My run temporarily thwarted, I snuggled with the little guy on the couch and watched an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. When my in laws later awoke, I pawned the dear boy off on them, and snuck out of the house quickly before another obstacle had a chance to get in my way.

My feet hit the pavement, and I was off! Granted, I wasn't breaking any land-speed records, nor was I able to run the entire two and a half miles that I set out to accomplish, but I did run nearly two-thirds of it, which I deemed a huge success!

I'm by no means ready to run a marathon, but it felt great to run again, and it makes me wonder why I ever stopped. It's unfortunate that it took a scare at the doctor's office to get me out there again, but I look forward to my next visit to camp, and the opportunity to work on my running. In the meantime, I'll have to settle for the stationary bike, and chasing my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment