Thursday, August 15, 2013

DIY Dish Cloth - Crochet Pattern


Dish cloths themselves are not a huge investment, but when you're trying to minimize your debts every dollar counts.  So when I found myself in need of new dish cloths, rather than buying commercially made cloths, I decided to try my hand at making my own.  I wanted something that was easily washable, and thick enough to withstand heavy use. 

While sifting through my sewing/craft room, I came upon some cotton yarn and was inspired.  A dish cloth need not be anything fancy, and I was quite certain that I could craft one from this cotton yarn that would meet our needs.  Seriously, a dish cloth is nothing more than a simple square of fabric, in this case, a crocheted square of fabric.

To make this dish cloth, I used cotton yarn, and a size H crochet hook.

To begin, ch 37.

Hdc in 3rd ch from hook, and in each remaining ch to end. Ch 2, turn.

*Hdc in each stitch. Ch 2, turn. Repeat from * until dish cloth is desired size.

In the one pictured above, I simply worked in the ends, and called it finished.  If you want a more finished edge, you could sc around the outside, working 3 sc in each corner.  It all depends on what your preference is, for my own personal use, I didn't see a need for the additional step, but if I were going to be giving them to someone else I would take the extra few minutes to do a finished edge.

We have been using these dish cloths for a couple of months now, and they have worked perfectly! They are just the right size, and have held up to daily use, and washing. Go ahead, give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment