Monday, September 30, 2013

The Threat of Government Shutdown - What it means to me...



As the minutes tick by today, we come closer and closer to the threat of a Government Shutdown. Nationally, this is a scary possibility with ramifications that spread from coast to coast. Personally, as an employee of the Federal Government, it's a terrifying possibility. Should the Senate and the House not come to an amicable conclusion within the next 13 hours and sign a bill funding Government activity, I'll be placed on immediate and indefinite furlough. My fate is in their hands.

If Government Shutdown does occur, I won't be at work tomorrow, or perhaps even the next day. My return to work rests solely in the hands of Congress. The last Government Shutdown, in 1995, resulted in a 21 day furlough!! I pray, that in the event that the shutdown becomes reality, that it will be for a much shorter term.

In the meantime, I'm in a full blown panic mode. If we're furloughed I won't be paid for those days during shutdown. Even one day of shutdown would have a grave affect on my family. Our expenses would remain the same, and our monthly income would be reduced. Our mortgage would still need to be paid, our daycare contract requires that we pay even if our children are not there, our insurance premiums would still be due, and our real estate taxes don't just disappear because the government is shutdown.

In the immediate future we would be okay. Our pantry is stocked, we have food in the freezer, and thanks to my compulsive need to NEVER run out of household essentials, we could survive for a few weeks without needing to go to the store. However, what happens if the furlough lasts 21 days as it did in 1995? Three full weeks without pay would be detrimental!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my fears don't become a reality, that Congress will find a resolution and in the very least sign a Continuing Resolution that will give us level funding until a "real" budget can be passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment