Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cafe cups

I typically try to steer clear of the "As Seen on TV" products that I see advertised, though I will admit that my children do possess Pillow Pets, Dreamlites, and Stompees (evil advertisers promoting such things to innocent children!).  Alas, last winter when I saw a commericial for Cafe Cups, and I was intrigued by the commercial.  I pointed it out to my husband, and forgot about it. 

Imagine my surprise when I found Cafe Cups in my stocking Christmas morning.  I'm an avid coffee drinker, and indulge in multiple cups per day.  Up until Christmas morning I had a love/hate relationship with my Keurig.  The Keurig is great for making a fresh cup of coffee every time, but the price of the K-cups caused dismay.  It was hard to justify using the Keurig, when I could purchase coffee for a standard coffee maker for far cheaper, and the disposable K-cups seemed so wasteful.  Cafe cups were the answer!!

We can now purchase our favorite coffee flavors, and use the Cafe Cups to brew them in our Keurig.  The Cafe Cups come as a set of four (two red, and two black), with a pre-measured coffee scoop.  You can purchase them directly through their website for $10.99 plus $6.99 shipping, even at this price they are a good deal.  If you consider that drinking one cup of coffee a day, at a price of 50 cents per K-cup, would cost you $15 a month; it makes this investment seem far more reasonable. 

Amazon.com has the same package of Cafe Cups on their website for $10, and they are eligible for free 2-day shipping for Prime members.

I have also seen these for sale in local stores in their "As Seen on TV" sections.  Prices vary between the stores, but in most instances I've seen them selling between $9-$11.

While they aren't quite as convenient as a standard K-cup (you do have to fill them with coffee before each use), they produce far less waste, and drastically reduce the price per cup of coffee.

So what do you do with the coffee grounds after they've been used?  We dump them in our compost bowl to be taken out to the compost pile.  Using the Cafe Cups, and composting the grounds, we now have absolutely no waste produced by utilizing our Keurig!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment